Do you tend to deal with seasonal allergies this time of year? This can bring so many people down, and I know firsthand how rough it can be! This is the thing: before reaching for anti-histamines and decongestants, you have tons of natural and holistic options! What are common seasonal allergies?
Runny nose and congestion
Dry, itchy, watery red eyes
Post nasal drip/sore throat
Sinus tension and pressure
Antihistamines block the body’s histamine receptors to give support. These drugs provide some relief, but your symptoms do come back once they’ve worn off. They also come with unfortunate side effects that can happen like blurred vision, low blood pressure, drowsiness and more.
If you are on my email list, you know I have been chatting about the layers within the body that contribute to allergies and about supporting your kidneys and adrenals to help. But if you are wanting some quick relief as you work through healing the roots, you are going to want to keep reading! Here are my top 5 tips for combatting seasonal allergies:
1. Eat an anti inflammatory diet. Oof. Maybe you thought I would leave that one out since were talking seasonal allergies and not food allergies, but the truth is what you eat has a huge impact on your ability to mitigate and resolve, seasonal allergies! If you’re already eating a diet high in gluten and grains, GMO ingredients, sugars, and conventional dairy, this is putting your body through a lot of work to keep up and fight ongoing inflammation. Eating a whole foods diet is the way to go when it comes to season allergy relief.
2. Air purification. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that people spend 90% of a typical day indoors and that many pollutants are 2 to 5 times higher indoors than outdoors. Unfortunately, things like glade, plug-ins, air, fresheners, candles, and other items of fragrance can be a real deterrent for our physical health and well-being in our home. Something that I love to keep around to help support her air quality is our air doctor air purifiers. We have a couple throughout the house, and air doctors are having a great sale right now if you use my link for their massive spring sale! I always make sure to get my diffusers going too, especially with an allergy supporting blend with lavender, peppermint, and lemon. I linked my favorite diffuser and set of allergy support oils for aromatherapy support here.
3. Topical essential oil support. So we talked a little bit about the importance of air quality and using aromatherapy in the home to help with this, but you can be using these essential oils topically as well, especially over sinus pressure points to help with seasonal allergies. I like using a combination of lavender, lemon, and peppermint essential oil to be able to help with this. I fill a 10 mL roller bottle with 10 drops each of lemon, lavender, peppermint essential oil, and fill the rest up with fractionated coconut oil, and then roll it on the top of my cheekbones, and my sinus points above my eyebrows as needed. You can grab all three of these oils for under $30 here.
4. Herbal tonic and teas. I really love using herbs for support of seasonal allergies, especially since they are so focused on toning and strengthening the organs that help prevent recurrent seasonal allergy issues. My favorite herbal tonic is the spring defense tonic from Organic Olivia. This is something that you can take for support as needed. I also really like that or nettle tea to drink because it’s super high in vitamin C and other vitamins and minerals that are so great for seasonal allergies support. I love to make a big pot of it, store in the fridge and drink it on hot summer days! So refreshing!
5. Homeopathy. In homeopathy, we can support the symptoms of allergies with helping to resolve imbalances within the body. Histaminum is my favorite go to remedy for quick allergy relief without side effects. Histaminum hydrochloricum is prepared from a salt of histamine called histamine dihydrochloride. Unlike antihistamines that block the body’s response, a microdose of histamine dihydrochloride can stimulate your body’s healing response to bring it back into balance. You can use code LTuttle and this link to get 25% off a tube of Histaminum from Boiron. For general use throughout allergy season, you can dissolve 5 pellets of Histaminum hydrochloricum 30C under the tongue three times a day until symptoms are relieved.
Which of these are your favorite to use for seasonal allergies? Do you have any other hacks that you left? Please respond and comment on this blog post and share!
Ready to expand and transform your health and better understand just how supernatural your body really is? (yup, I know you do!) Download this guide to start unlearning the stories and attachments that are keeping you stuck or sick.