I just made a BIG batch of elderberry syrup and get ready to be mindblown because my recipe takes it up another level with WAY more antioxidants and support than traditional recipes. This is such an important staple for the wellness cabinet; there are many studies out there that show the benefit of taking elderberry regularly to prevent and combat the flu!
So, what’s the deal with elderberries? Elderberries are rich in vitamins A, B and C and are a traditional cold and flu remedy used for hundreds of years. They are known to have high antioxidant activity, and the bioflavonoids and other proteins in the juice of the berry destroy the ability of a cold or flu virus to infect a cell. Want to take it up a whole notch though? Add wolfberries!! Wolfberries have twice the antioxidants of elderberries and are FILLED to the brim with vitamins and minerals! Wolfberries also contain unique phytonutrients that have been shown to protect the liver, eyes, heart, and cellular DNA from age-related deteriorization and disease. I love combining elderries and wolfberries with my syrup recipe to get the benefits from both!
I add essential oils to add an extra dose of amazing to our elderberry syrup. I take ingestion of any EOs very seriously and please note, I ONLY recommend using the young living vitality line if you are going to include EOs in your elderberry syrup. This is due to the excellent sourcing and quality! Here are the essential oils I include:
* Thieves Vitality – This is a seriously amazing immune supportive blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus radiata and rosemary.
* Nutmeg Vitality – This oil is super beneficial for the adrenals and endocrine system which is important to optimize to keep our immune system optimized.
* Clove Vitality – This oil is crazy high in antioxidants!
* Orange Vitality – Did you know Orange oil supports Glutathione levels? Google- Orange essential oil AND glutathione. It’ll blow you away. Since most of us are deficient in glutathione, which is SO IMPORTANT for detox, having orange vitality in this recipe is a major win!
* Cinnamon Bark Vitality – Another oil already found in the Thieves blend, cinnamon bark is a powerful support to the immune system.
* Frankincense Vitality – One of the gifts given to Jesus by the Three Wise Men, frankincense has been used for centuries. Google Frankincense oil. So many amazing studies with it!
* Copaiba vitality – Did you know? Beta-caroplyllene is a naturally-occurring chemical compound that has been studied extensively for its ability to modulate the body’s natural response to irritation and injury. Copaiba contains the highest concentration of beta-caroplyllene (55%) of any other known essential oil.
OK now. the moment you have been waiting for. THE recipe!
Here’s the super simple recipe I used:
• 1 cup dried organic elderberries ( Amazon)
• 1 cup dried organic wolfberries
• 1 cup raw organic honey (local is best!)
• 4 cups purified water
• 7 drops Copaiba Vitality
• 3 drops Thieves Vitality
• 3 drops Orange Vitality
• 1 drop Frankincense Vitality
• 1 drop Nutmeg Vitality
• 1 Cinnamon Bark Vitality
Put the elderberries, wolfberries and water in the Instant Pot on Manual for 10 minutes. Strain berries (discard) into a 16 oz mason jar and let the syrup cool. Then add honey and oils. Store airtight in fridge for up to 1 month. Adults can take a tablespoon every few hours if feeling under the weather and 1 tablespoon a day to help prevent illness. For kids one and up consider a teaspoon of syrup two to three times a day if under the weather or a ½ to full teaspoon daily for immune protection during the winter months.
NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. Here’s a link to getting all the vitality oils for your recipe too if you need them!
Voila! You did it! Do me a favor- tag me over at @lindsaytuttlenp.wellness if you make this and let me know what you think. Here’s to staying above the wellness line this season!
Ready to expand and transform your health and better understand just how supernatural your body really is? (yup, I know you do!) Download this guide to start unlearning the stories and attachments that are keeping you stuck or sick.